Karate Alberta is currently seeking an enthusiastic, effective and committed individual with excellent management, planning, organizational and interpersonal skills to serve as executive director.
Start Date: April 1, 2017
Deadline for applications: March 31, 2017
Job Location: Calgary, Alberta
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience in directing and managing a competitive sport or similar organization with varied stakeholders;
- Excellent relationship building skills;
- A strong proven financial management expertise including supervision of internalcontrols, budgeting and financial reporting;
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with existing and potential sponsorshippartners;
- Ability to create effective grant applications;
- Ability to lead and manage staff;
- Ability to proactively initiate and prioritize tasks and organize a diverse workloadtaking into consideration priorities, deadlines and outcomes;
- Very strong communication and mediation skills;
- Working knowledge of social media.
Karate Alberta is a not-for-profit society with approximately 2,000 members with an annual budget of about $125,000.
It is headed by a volunteer board of directors, and the executive director reports to the president.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter as one document saved under your first and last name by email to: Marc Ward at email@example.com.
Deadline for application is March 30 however the posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Candidates will be shortlisted by mid- April, with interviews to follow. It is hoped that a decision will be taken by the end of May. While we appreciate all applicants only those that are short listed will be contacted.
There will be a six-month probationary period.
Executive Director Job Description
Executive and Administrative Functions
- Maintains accurate financial records, including signing off on bank reconciliation each month, ensuring all reports and records are accurately submitted in a timely manner, and working with the Treasurer to ensure the budget is adhered to.
- Has cheque signing authority for the areas within his/her responsibility.
- Supervises Karate Alberta events: works cooperatively with Alberta Team coaches.Team manager, Tournament Director and others, to ensure all facilities, equipment, travel logistics, documentation and any other logistics necessary are secured for Alberta Team training, Alberta Team travel to Nationals, Provincial Championships, Karate Alberta Annual General Meeting; and National Championships when Karate Alberta is hosting.
- Attends required Karate Alberta meetings such as Executive and other committee meetings as required.
- Works with the Provincial Sport Advisor to ensure Karate Alberta is in compliance with all policies to maintain the status as a core sport in the Alberta Winter Games.
- Keeps an accurate record of members.
- Acts as Karate Alberta’s liaison with various government bodies, Karate Canada, Pan American Karate Federation and the World Karate Federation.
- Ensures the necessary insurance, loss prevention and disclosure waivers are in place to protect Karate Alberta.
- Supervises staff
- Provides long-term planning in the above areas of responsibility.
- Work with the Karate Alberta Technical committee to implement the Canada Sport for Life (CS4L) model and the Long Term Athlete development (LTD) model for Karate Alberta
- Work with the Karate Alberta Coaching committee to implement the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) program into all regions of the province
- Liaise with Karate Canada as required regarding LTD and NCCP o Coordinate the training of Karate Alberta Learning facilitators and evaluators in conjunction with the Coaching Committee and Karate Canada
- Work with the High Performance committees on athlete funding and support programs such as BC Athlete Assistance & Canadian Sport Institute Pacific carding
Communication & Marketing
- Help organize, promote and attend tournaments and events
- Maintenance of the social media communication plans. This includes regular updates of the website, Facebook, e‐newsletter and twitter feeds
- Assist with marketing, promotion, fundraising and sponsorship
- Facilitate and attend relevant committee meetings